Sunday, February 23, 2014

A surgery date...

Much to my surprise, just a few hours after my last post, I received a call from the surgeon's office.  She was calling to give me a surgery date.  What?!  Already!?  The date is March 24th.  She then said she was submitting my file to the insurance company to get me approved.  I am hoping there are no holdups there.  But I am thinking they probably wouldn't have scheduled me if they thought there could be an issue.  At least that is what I am telling myself.  The insurance company did tell me that they have up to 30 days to make a determination but that it is almost always within 10 days.  One of my primary doctors said that my BMI alone would get me approved no problem.  My BMI is about 43.  Anything about 40 is considered class III obesity-MORBID OBESITY.  And apparently if you have co-morbidities you can be approved with a BMI of 35.  When I started this process I did not think that I had any co-morbidities, but I have since learned that I do after going though the testing process for approval.  I have sleep apnea and high blood pressure.  Right there that is 2 of the 4 big ones.  Cholesterol and diabetes are the other two big ones.  My cholesterol was not checked but I am 99.99999% sure that would not be pretty.  So, I am thinking that I am in good shape (haha) for approval.

So for now I am going to wait...and prepare.  I have pulled out my meal planning sheets they gave me.  Some are pre-op, some are post-op separated by week.  Its time to buckle down on how and what I am eating.  I am looking them over and planning.  I need to give myself the best shot possible.  Although I did lose 6 pounds between my first and second appointments, I did not make the effort that I should have and that I know that I can.  They wanted 5% loss from me.  That was about 12 lbs.  I gave them 2.5%, but I could have done so much better.  I have a little bit of shame about that.

I have received so much support and I am so happy(and surprised) about this.  My family, friends, and fellow bloggers have been wonderful.  Now that I have a surgery date, its time to ask for the time off from work.  I am hoping that goes smoothly.  This is where I stress a bit about whether this is elective surgery or not.  I feel a future post coming on about this :)

Jennifer

No comments: