Wednesday, August 20, 2014

5 months post op -vertical sleeve gastrectomy

It's been 5 months since my bariatric surgery.  This experience has changed my life!!!  It is hands down the best decision for me, and my only regret is that I didn't look into it sooner.  I never thought I was big enough to be a candidate.  That is called denial at its best.....

Here's some stats:

Weight-
Before:  252
Today:  178.9
Total loss:  73.1 lbs

Size-
Before:  20/22, XXL, 2x
Today: 14 bottoms, M or L top

Eats-
Before: all day... Each serving enough for several people
Today:  3-5 small meals a day( plan calls for only 3) with very few sugars or carbs.  I do this so my body can feel good!  I cannot believe how much less sluggish I am without them.

Exercise-
Before:  very little.  Too darn tired. And lazy.  Eating was my sport of choice.
Today:  back to running!  I am changing up my speeds, distances, and routes to keep it from getting boring.  Today I did a whole 10 minute mile.  For some that's a piece of cake.  For me, it's a huge accomplishment!

Physically-
I feel ....normal?  My recovery time was pretty quick actually- just a few weeks I would say.  Learning to eat less has mentally been a challenge even though my belly gets full.  THIS is what made me realize I couldn't have done it without surgery, and why I have failed again and again.  There is a mental aspect along with the physical aspect of overeating and obesity that needs to be dealt with.  Having the small stomach for those moments of weakness is kind of like a backup plan.  I am learning so much about my eating habits and about myself through this.

Mentally-
I am proud of myself!  I have energy and ambition again!  And I feel so much less self conscious and embarrassed.  I am not hiding from people anymore.  I love shopping again.  I am a better mom, wife, daughter.  I feel I need to mention that my family and friends have been so supportive of me, and this has been such a blessing.  Not everyone has that kind of love and support.  I am so fortunate to have a great circle of loved ones.

That's about it!  I signed In here so I could go through some old posts.  It helps put things in perspective for me.  I hope you are all doing well.  I used to get a lot of comments and rarely do anymore.  But I also realize that some may not be able to relate with my choice to have surgery.  And that's fine too!  One year ago I would never have thought surgery was an option for me let alone that it would be all done and over with.  It's amazing the difference a year can make.



5 comments:

divad said...

I am so thrilled for you Jennifer! You look great! We have the exact same body type - when it's big and when it's small. I am hoping to get the running bug again someday soon. Can't wait for next Friday! :)

Desert Singer said...

I too am absolutely thrilled for you! I sent a friend of mine a link to your blog because she's interested in the surgery. Her insurance company is giving her hassle - not sure if she's going to be able to go through with it. I've started the C25K program and just finished Day 3 of Week 3 - will never be a 'runner' but like how efficient 20 minutes a day is!

Please keep blogging... :-)

Jessica said...

You are doing great! Keep up the good work!

Syahidina Alif said...

PT. Bondor Indonesia

Insulated Panel Systems have been supplied to various projects around the globe for over 30 years. With its Timber
Free, CFC Free, Ozone Safe materials, the systems are able to help the users to save energy, time as well as money.
In Indonesia, Bondor™ Insulated Panel Systems has been installed at more than 1,200 projects since 1995. To
make sure that the product meet the International standards, PT. Bondor Indonesia has received ISO 9001 for Quality
Management System in 2005.

sandwich panel
insulated panel
cold storage
room storage

Dr.Zack Martin said...

I will prefer this blog because it has much more informative stuff. Jennifer M