Thursday, February 23, 2012

Doing what works for me

Over the years I have taken many routes in the diet department in an attempt to lose weight and get healthy.  I have done Medifast, Weight Watchers, counted calories, Body for Life, South Beach, Atkins...etc.  I am sure there are more but those were the biggies.  I have learned a lot along the way, and I have pulled the things out of each plan that have worked for me. 

Medifast taught me to eat 5-6 smaller meals a day. It also taught me to make sure I am taking in enough carbs if I am going to attempt cardio exercise or else I will feel sick.

Weight watchers taught me portion sizes and pretty much runs along the same lines as calorie counting.  It has also taught me to journal my food so nothing is forgotten.  I am always shocked at how much more I eat when not "counting".

Calorie Counting never ceases to amaze me.  The calories add up soooo fast and it becomes quite clear why I struggle with my weight. 

Body for Life taught me a lot.  First, I finally understand the difference between simple and complex carbs.  I also learned that protein keeps the hunger away and that removing simple carbs (sugary foods) totally keeps my cravings away. This was a huge discovery for me.  It changed my whole feeling of hunger.  Hungry and craving something is much different than my tummy growling to remind me to eat. Is that what people who dont love food like I do feel?  Body for Life also promotes one "free" day a week which helped keep me on track the rest of the week.  It also promotes a lot of intense weight lifting to get good results.

Atkins and South Beach were not for me.  I need something that is more of a lifestyle change.  Although I did learn a lot about which foods have carbs and which dont.


SOOOOOOO.....

I came up with a plan that I think will work well for me.

I am tracking my food daily. 
I drink tons of water like I always do.
I eat 5-6 meals a day to prevent hunger.
I have increased the protein in my diet to prevent hunger.
I aim for 1200 calories a day and give myself one free day a week-in moderation.
I attempt to stay away from sugary foods(simple carbs)  to prevent and avoid cravings***key for me!!!
When the knee feels good I will run and lift weights as I enjoy both.
Reminding myself that EVERY CHOICE MAKES A DIFFERENCE. 

I am impressed at how educated I have become over the years.  And I can finally say that I dont feel like a failure at any of these plans, although I am not at my goal weight.  I really learned a lot and took the useful stuff out of each of them.  Like I said before, learning how to keep cravings and hunger away is key for me.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

12 comments:

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Guesss what? I've been pouring over my journals from my Body for Life days...and I'm considering doing it again. I hve tried all kinds of things too BUT I felt thee absolute best and looked the leanest and smallest doing that. Good luck in your journey.

Enz said...

I think you have the right attitude, there is no one size fits all plan - and you have to figure out what's right for you and what works for you in terms of weight loss and your life. The best plan in the world is useless if you can't/won't follow it!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down said...

I think I've done every single diet on your list with the exception of Body for Life. And I totally feel the way you do that I've earned a PhD in dieting along the way!! It's a great idea to take the best pieces of what you've learned and make them work for you. I totally think you have the perfect plan!!

Kelly said...

Jennifer, I'm glad you have a firm plan in place. I've never tried Atkins or South Beach or Zone. I'm definitely NOT a low carb kinda gal. :-) Mazel to you!

BeesKnees said...

You've definitely got a good solid plan and a good attitude. I'm a low carb girl myself so I know how tough giving up the sweets can be. Good luck!

~Christina

Kelliann said...

I love the "Every Choice Makes A Difference" Mantra! Excellent!! Best of luck to you in your plan!

jamie@sweatyhugs said...

What a great post Jennifer! I too feel like I've learned SO much over the past few years. It's great to armed with knowledge while on this journey. Looks like you've got a GREAT plan going for yourself. Cheering you on!

Mom to the Fourth Power said...

You have to find what works for you and I love all that you've learned. It's about the LEARNING process along the way! I admire you for your tenacity to work through things. I appreciate you sharing things you have learned. You go girl!

~Margene

Shelley said...

Jennifer, I think you've got a great plan - and I love how you can look at all of your diets and pick out what worked for you and make your own "super diet"!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!!! Can we run on Tuesday if the weather holds?

Anonymous said...

I joined~

Glenn said...

You shouldn't think that you're a failure Jen and you have the right attitude. I wish I'm like you although I'm working on it.

By the way, I have some information regarding my weight loss supplement. If you want to know more, please click here.