Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sugar Marie (Jennifer)

The hubs had to work all weekend.  We are trying to cut back on spending so I stayed in most of the weekend.  I tracked my food pretty carefully but was really missing out on the treats I had all last week.  And there were LOTS of treats last week.  By today I was feeling a little sorry for myself.  I was cranky.  I was feeling a little couped up in the house, feeling deprived because I wasnt eating cookies, ice cream, and chocolate to make myself feel better.  Then I went for a run this evening.  I was dreading it to be honest.  The last few I have had were on the treadmill at 6mph and I did only a mile and prayed every second I was doing it that it would end soon.  hehe. 

But...I geared up and off I went.  I set out for 2 miles.  I decided to be leisurely about it so I could attempt to enjoy it.  For me, after a tough run it is hard to get myself back out there again.  Which is odd because I am always swearing I love running.  And this is why...I had a great run today and when I was done with my 2 miles I cannot even explain how *refreshed* I felt.  I felt better mentally and physically.  I got myself out of the house, had some me time, cleared my head, accomplished something with a sense of pride, helped myself physically by burning calories, felt energized,  and...I enjoyed doing it throughout the whole thing(this is big for me because lots of times when I run the first mile is tough for me.  But not today!!).  Wow, a few minutes outside for a run and I came back a different person.  Who knew?  My mood was happier, lighter, and I realized it.  It was another one of those realizations that just hit me while I was hanging out with the family being as happy as could be. 

Soooo....apparently when I am cranky the first thing I should do is exercise???  A new thought for a girl who used to feed a bad mood (while sitting on the couch) until I felt better.  I will have to mark this post because how many times do we just NOT feel like exercising for no good reason at all?  No more excuses for me.

Today's reason for losing weight:
*smaller clothes = less laundry.   The more clothes you can fit in one load the better, right?

Today I am thankful for:
*my dog, Sugar Marie(yes, she has a middle name).  She always has such unconditional love to give.  She is our dog we rescued almost one year ago.  She has become a wonderful and special part of our family.  She is so affectionate and appreciative of her life with us, and she lets us know just how happy she is everyday!    

Napping in the car together.

The cat took her bed soooo...what is the best thing to do?

Retaliate.  Take the cats bed :)

Yes, a tutu.  One of the girls :)

12 comments:

Karen said...

We've known for a long time about the benefits of exercise as a way to enhance our physical condition and combat disease; but it hasn't been until more recently that exercise is being recognized as an element in maintaining mental fitness. Studies have shown that exercise releases endorphins in the brain, which in turn cause us to have what is commonly know as a "natural high" or a "runners high". Endorphins in the hypothalamus and other limbic structures stimulates the reward pathways, giving you a sense of euphoria.
Just like in Legally Blonde when she says...Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands, they just don't.

Mom to the Fourth Power said...

Good for you for getting out there!
Awe.... I wish we could get a dog! Sugar Marie looks SO sweet. :) Maybe that's why you name her Sugar?!!

~Margene

divad said...

When I'm cranky, nothing satisfies like a run!

99ToGo said...

Karen's comment cracked me up, because 90% of the reason I've become such an exercise fanatic is for the mental benefits (trying to stave off anxiety). And when I head out for a run and I'm grumpy about it, the Legally Blond comment pops into my mind and I emmit a little chuckle :)

You pics are PRECIOUS. Love the dog retaliation, and the tutu. My girls have dressed up our cats before, and one of them just lay down and surrendered to the torture ;)

Most important, I'm so glad your run did for you what it did. How awesome is it to get immediate positive reinforcement for a habit we'd like to make? Oh, and that 6 MPH mile is a toughy for most of us. Unless you're running a race, maybe slow it down a little bit so you can breath!

Syl said...

I find the workouts that I dread the most are the ones where I do the best.
Good for you for turning your day around!
Keep up the great work!

Jennifer said...

Now I am going to have to watch that movie. Somehow I have managed to go this long without seeing it!

Laura said...

That sounds great! I like the idea of exercising in the morning and just getting it done, but when it comes to sleep or exercise, sleep always wins. Good on you for getting it done. I need to try to remember to exercise when I'm feeling down, instead of feeding it.

BTW, Love today's reason for losing weight!

Bethanny said...

Glad that you worked out. Your Sugar is a sweetie!! She looks so huggable!

Jessica said...

Running is an amazing way to lift your spirits! When I am having a bad day, I goot run always makes it better. Love the pics of Sugar Marie :)

Lesia said...

Well I am just DOOMED to be cranking all the time. NO RUNNING in my future. I love love love your doggie. smile.

Shelley said...

That picture of the dog and your daughter sleeping is precious! What a good dog, and how nice that she fits in so well with the family!

Jess said...

I am so loving Sugar Marie!