Friday, December 16, 2011

Some tidbits about Body for Life-day 10

I realized that maybe my last post about only losing 3.5 the first week may have come across snobbish.  And that is so far from who I am so I just wanted to take a second to explain.  I  have been doing this weight loss *thing* for years.  About 15 years now.  Its only been the last few years I have been successful.  Anyway, when I start some sort of weight loss program, whether its WW, Medifast, counting calories, etc, I am used to a typical pattern.  The first week I tend to lose big, like 7-10 lbs.  Then after that things slow way down.  So I guess I expected the same with my Body for Life challenge.

I worked super hard last week.  Six days of exercise and a total change in my eating habits.  So I was hoping, and expecting, a bigger number as I have had in the past.  But this isnt the Biggest Loser.  This is real life.  In the grand scheme of things I think 3.5 lbs is awesome.  I think part of my frustration is that I am up 30 lbs and having to redo my hard work to relose this weight is annoying.  Its no ones fault but my own.  

And lets talk about the hubs for a second.  He is following the same plan with a little variation as he doesnt eat veggies :(   Anyway, he was down 8 lbs last week which added to my disappointment about my 3.5 lbs.  But, the pity party is over now.

I  have had some huge changes in the past 10 days.  I thought I would share.  Some amazing things (to me) about the Body for Life plan:

1)  I am having very few cravings, if any at all.  The book said it would happen but I guess I didnt believe it.  When/if my tummy growls at me it is a much different feeling than it used to be.  It is now more of a "okay, time to eat" instead of a "ahhh, what kind of yummy fattening sweet or fried food can I eat to please this growling tummy?".  I eat for nutrition, not because I am super excited about it like I used to be.  That is a huge change for me.  I usually love food!!!

2)  I have learned that I love my weight workouts.  Having a structured plan is right up my alley. I love the burn I feel when my muscles are working.   On the flip side, I have also learned already to dread my cardio sessions.  Which is odd because they are only 20 minutes.  I ran a half marathon in October.  Over two hours of running.  And I dread 20 minutes of cardio 3 times a week??  Thats because Body for Life  gives you an insity schedule to follow.  The plan really pushes the intensity factor.  Pretty much their theory is that is that they are only asking you to do 20 minutes so please do your absolute best.  Makes sense, as dreadful as it is.

3) I am learning that I might have an allergy or sensitivity to either wheat or the Omega 3 vitamins I am taking.  At age 32 I am apparently getting a bunch of allergies or sensitivies, including my cats that I have had for over 10 years.  Odd right?

4)  Free day.  Ahhhhh free day.  Although there has been only one so far I have learned that this is my saving grace on this plan.  Knowing that I have a free day makes me do my best on the other 6 days.  It takes the deprived feeling away.  If I want something I know I can have it on free day.  And I love that free day is totally allowed and a part of the plan!  Tomorrow is free day!

Today's reason for losing weight:
*I tried some pants on my closet that dont fit.  And my friend Laura gave me some other size 12's.  Same thing.  I cant wait to see them fit eventually!

Today I am thankful for:
*free day tomorrow!

4 comments:

Christine said...

I too love weight training verses cardio.

I have been reading but not commenting....you are doing amazing!!!

Debsdailylife said...

I am so thankful youre writing about this book. "everything sounded so familiar!!" SO I dug deep into my pile of weightloss books, and there it was!!! As soon as I finish my current book of workouts (one week) Im going to start!! Thankyou!!!
PS Youre doing great!!!

Polar's Mom said...

I know how you feel...you always expect the first week to be great. I lost 11 pounds, since then, 4 weeks ago, I have lost 4. So maybe you will be more consistent and lose more steadily, which I would take anyday!

Yes, I HATE the 20 minute sessions, because they freaking exhaust the shit out of me and leave me shaking for hours-so much more than my toiling away on the elliptical for hours. Pretty amazing.

However I have seen big changes physically, as I imagine you are as well. At the end of my 30 day shred video, Jillian Michaels tells me "you are well on your way to being shredded". This has become the joke, as I go around to hubs saying 'guess what??? im well on my way to being shredded." We both laugh because I would have to lose 40 more pounds to ever be shredded.

Anyway, stay strong, sounds like you found a great plan for you!!!

Body Building said...

I would like to do exercise. It can also facilitate our body’s elimination process, reduce fluid retention, and aid our body’s natural detoxification process by eating cleansing foods such as berries and leafy greens.