Thursday, February 25, 2010

The night before Medifast

The night before Medifast.
Tomorrow is the big day, day 1 of my Medifast journey. I always thought in the past that I could diet and get the weight off, and that lasted for about two weeks until I decided that since I had lost a few pounds, I could go ahead and have that bowl of ice cream or go eat out with my friends and indulge myself. But once I got the taste of something delicious, off my diet I went. Then I had a sudden epiphany, much like my cousin, about three weeks ago when I decided that I needed to do something about my weight. I am 30 years old and I have so much to accomplish in my life and my weight is slowing me down. About a week later, I was in the hospital with my husband who was suffering from a huge spike in blood pressure. Over the next few days mortality was thrown in my face, not just my husband’s health but I was and am scared for my own. And then I started considering something that has terrified me for years, the thought that I needed something other than just a yo-yo diet: surgery. SURGERY! The thought of going under the knife, having part of me removed, the possible health side effects afterwards and then I decided that I had to face the question: Am I going to risk my health under the knife or risk my health by not doing anything about my weight? My answer? NEITHER. My cousin Jennifer told me about her visit to the cardiologist and how he suggested the Medifast diet. Of course I was filled with skepticism, but I decided to read more about the diet and do my research. After reading personal stories, the good and the bad, I decided that I needed to step up to the plate and do this for myself and my husband. So, last Saturday, I ordered my two week supply of Medifast meals and they arrived today.
Am I scared that I can’t do this? A little. Am I more scared of surgery? A huge yes. Am I more scared of not doing anything at all and putting my life and happiness at risk? A Big Fat UH-HUH. So, I have picked out my meals, packed up my water bottle, and am mentally preparing for the first three days that I hope will turn my life around. I have my husband, my family, friends, and my cousin behind me. I can do this. I have the will power to make it through the first day. I have the strength to get through the first week. I have the positive thoughts to keep this going. I am taking my life back in my hands.

No comments: