Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The big picture (Jennifer)

I am thinking about the big picture lately.  I have realized that my mindset is very different than it was in the past.  I used to be in the *diet* mindset.  But eating the way I used to wasnt practical.  Good for one week, bad for a few days, then good again for another few days, etc.  There was always eating good or eating bad.  That was my life story for years and years.  I never realized that there is a happy medium where I can eat things I like AND be healthy too.  Hmmmm....  Now, are there meals that I struggle at here and there?  Yup.  I am human.  But for the most part I know what I want and I am going for it.  And what I want is more than just to be skinny. I want to be healthy and to feel happy with myself. 

Today I was grocery shopping and picked up a loaf of bread.  I havent eaten a slice of bread in ages.  There are so many whole grain/high fiber alternative wrap style things out there that I enjoy.  Anyway, I picked up a loaf of light oatmeal bread.  I was standing there reading the label on it trying to figure out if it was whole grain.  Then it dawned on me.  Wow...this feels normal to me.  This must be who I am now.  I knew I didnt want it if it wasnt whole grain and it wasnt a battle at all.  I always choose whole grains these days.  I realized shopping tonight that I skip right past the ice cream section, the bakery, etc.  It isnt even a thought anymore.  I find myself picking things up all the time and if they arent up to *my standards*, well then I put it down and move on.  None of this "but I really want it" or "I so deserve this".  

Why?

Because I want health.  I *choose* health.  And let me just say that increasing my calories per day makes it so much easier to eat the way I want to.  I am making healthy choices for the most part, and I usually feel satisfied with eating just a little more.  I feel good about making good choices.  Who knew?

Today was one of those eye opening days.  I realized that this is my life now and there is no start and end to this diet.  Because, this is not a diet at all.  This is LIFE.  I used to hear people talk about how the only way to be successful is to make a lifestyle change.  I used to hear "blah blah blah".  But now. my eyes are wide open and I see the big picture.    I am on my way to a healthier lifestyle.

9 comments:

Polar's Mom said...

Wow that is cool. I find that about myself, too-HOWEVER I do take a big whiff as I walk through the breads/pastries section. ;-)

I never thought the day would come when I actually crave potatoes, rice, pasta-and not ice cream and other crap. Who knew?!?!?!

Anyway, I'm proud of you girl! You go on with your whole grain self!

Polar's Mom
www.polarspage.blogspot.com

divad said...

One healthy choice leads to another Jennifer! I love it! Yep, you described what I call the crazy cycle of obesity. Aren't you glad to be off that cycle? I know I am!

Mom to the Fourth Power said...

I'm with ya there... lifestyle change all the way. I find myself looking at the whole grain bread too. I also check to see if there is any high fructose corn syrup... bad stuff I don't want in our diets anymore! Step by step and we're making that change. Good for you girl!! :)

~Margene

Shane G. said...

oh I love seeing that other people are now junk food snobs! I love that I now look at everything and judge its quality before it goes in my body. Not to say I don't have the occasional chocolate bar square or maybe a piece of pizza, but for the most part, nope.

Kelly said...

Reading labels and being aware are great NSVs. Rock on!

Joy said...

You are doing so AWESOME!!! What a great place to be. Congratulations!! All of your hard work and focus is paying off. So proud of you!!!

Keep focused!!

Jess said...

Love, love, love this post!!! Way to go, girl!

Shelley said...

I love that THIS is now your normal - and it's the reason why you will continue to be successful not only with your weight loss, but maintaining that loss as well. Very cool, Jennifer! :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

What a great AHA moment!! Very cool to recognize it!