Saturday, May 15, 2010

Gardening (Jennifer)

I have discovered over the past few years that I love gardening. I have been doing a lot of it lately and I am surprised that I am sore the next day! Who knew all that bending and leaning and up and down and up and down could actually be...exercise? And this year I am enjoying it even more than previous years. And then I realized why. I am not in my own way. People who arent obese probably dont know what I am talking about. Let me explain. When I was 226 lb I considered myself lazy. I felt like I was always in my own way. I was in my way when bending over to tie my shoes, gardening, playing with the girls, cleaning a closet, folding laundry, in my way when trying to do just about anything that involved MOVING around. It made most things seem like tasks instead of enjoyable things. And I have say that it kind of feels like a luxury NOT having to be in my own way. I realize now that I used to avoid doing a lot of things because it just wasnt comfortable. And that added to the laziness. When I look back it makes me realize that I never want to go back there again. I have lots more to lose and I am certainly not thin, but it is just one of those "little things" that isnt really so little. It is a change in the quality of my life. It is a mini success.

Today's reason for losing weight:
I cant wait to see what other mini successes and other improvements in my quality of life are waiting for me just around the corner as I lose more weight.

Today I am thankful for:
Lowe's. They had so many plants on the clearance rack and that made it possible for me to get lots(2 trips actually). I have no problem giving a little extra love to some plants in need to bring them back to their full potential. And thanks to my mom for chipping into the "Jennifer loves to garden" fund :) I just love my mom :)

5 comments:

Lesia said...

totally relating to the in the way theory. Being handicapped AND over weight was a double whammy. I really started to feel lazy cause I was IN THE WAY of my own self. I would put extra stress on my loved ones by the expectation that I thought they should do what I couldn't or wouldn't for whatever the reason. Now that I am moving more from my disability and the weight is coming off, I DO more and feel less lazy. Good post!

John said...

Totally knwo what you are saying and, as you say, those who were never obese could never understand why doing everyday chores and tasks is something we now cherish and enjoy.

Winner at a Losing Game said...

Wow. You read my mind. I was gardening today too. I wasn't tired when I was done and I didn't need my son to do anything for me. It was awesome. I get what you mean about not being in your own way. What a great way to put it.

Jennifer said...

Thanks to you all for your support. I really look forward to your comments!

Lesia-I agree about the expectations I had on others to help me. And mine was only because of weight. you must feel so much freedom being able to get around now! I am actually going to post soon about my laziness(tiredness) and how I depended on others. It has been on my mind.

John-glad to hear from you. Welcome! You put it well...doing everyday things(even chores) is now something I enjoy because I am less tired and lazy. I appreciate things much more now. I am glad you are now enjoying things more now too. YOur post the other day with the picture of that yummy looking cake hit home for me. Yes...it had gotten to the point that eating was my excitement too. We are on a better road now :)

Laura said...

You're awesome! I've been doing gardening as well on the weekends, and have been surprised by my soreness a day later, but, unlike you, I don't enjoy it. I never have, but we're going to be moving later this year and I figure I should probably make the place look a little better.

Thanks for your comment on my blog the other day. I really appreciate your supportive comments, and love reading your blogs. It's fantastic that you're doing so well!