Friday, March 12, 2010

Being more active (Jennifer)

So I have taken advantage of this beautiful weather the last few days. The fact that its been around 50 degrees and the snow is melting is amazing in itself in Syracuse, but the fact that its not snowing is even more amazing! Usually we get snow through April. So before the next snow storm or lake effect which I am sure is inevitable I decided to let my Spring fever take over. I have been BBQing a lot. There is nothing better than the smell of burgers on the grill and some sunshine on the deck. Well...actually...leaves on the trees would be awesome... but now I am just daydreaming....
I went for a walk the other morning with Sugar. It was great! It was sunny and even though a bit chipper I loved it. I felt like I had so much energy and even jogged for a bit. Me and the black eyed peas were rocking out. I only know one song by them but it gets me moving. But...Sugar had a different opinion about jogging. Picture it...West Monroe, 2010(boy do I miss the Goldern Girls) ... the chubby girl running down the road dragging her 60 lb dog behind her. She did not want to keep up. I could just read her mind... she was definately saying "Are you serious????" I dont think she got much exercise before we rescued her from South Carolina. So we stopped jogging and she went right to bed when she got inside. Me...I was shockingly pumped. This new energy is addictive. I am totally loving it. I took the girls for a wagon ride two days in a row and they just loved it. And towing 55 extra pounds behind me felt great! I actually looked forward to it and when my legs hurt going up the hills I got a sense of pride instead of "please make this stop". And the other night after dinner we packed the girls up and took Sugar for a quick walk before it got dark. Which is great until the neighborhood dogs want a piece of my Sugar :( That stresses me because their dogs arent on leashes. One came running up to Sugar barking the other day and apparently Sugar felt he got too close to her and she sure did let them know. So now I am sure we are "the new people on the street with the mean dog". But I dont think she is mean especially when the kids are riding her around the house....she takes a lot of friendly abuse from the girls :)
Anyway...my point is that I like having energy and I like the idea of helping myself! It is great. The only thing I do question is this(so if any of you know please chime in)...You are allowed to exercise no more than 45 minutes of strenuous activity a day. My health coach told me not to burn more calories than I am taking in. But since I am taking in only around 1000 calories a day dont I burn more than that a day by just existing?? Wont that put me into starvation mode and make it even worse when exercising? Or is the fact that we are taking in so many vitamins and protein the key to making sure that doesnt happen? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Congrats to Trish on her weight loss this week. I will let her share that info with you all :) Happy Friday to you all!

4 comments:

Tricia said...

Way to go Jen! Happy that you are feeling great and exercising. I will be starting next week too. 15 min on the eliptical.

Jennifer said...

Start today! It is 2 weeks today for you! You will be shocked how great you feel doing it. just take the dog out for a quick walk. she will probably give you the same look sugar gave me...haha.
"you take walks mama??" haha.

Ron said...

Jenny Sue, if you are grilling I will take two burgers with WW cheddar cheese which is 1 pt by the way and a slice of bacon on each. If you would like to dine with me we can both have your approved amount of grilled chicken breast. LOL! Enjoy the weather. Hopefully we lucked out and it is around to stay. Ask your health coach about the Medifast plan for dogs. Looks like Sugar can use some inspiration too!

Karen, Ron, Ally and Shaylin said...

I love the Golden Girls. In fact, it is still on sometimes and I try to watch it if possible. Ron actually bought me one of the seasons on DVD. I can watch that show all day! It is so nice to hear such positive things from you. It's very uplifting for everyone, especially you!